1 mile run – 100 pull ups – 200 push ups – 300 air squats – 1 mile run
This is the workout we do every year on Memorial Day to honor our Military, fallen service members and Michael Murphy (whom the workout was named after), a Navy SEAL who was killed in action in 2005.
Murph is a workout that requires not only a lot of physical strength and endurance, but mental strength and endurance too. Strategy, planning and prepping will play a key role in your success in completing the Murph workout.
As daunting as this sounds, don’t be scared off – just like anything else in CrossFit, Murph can be scaled to something equally as challenging, but more appropriate for your current fitness level, like doing a “half” Murph, or partner Murph! Please, instead of making the decision not to do it because you don’t think you can, talk to a coach to learn how you CAN do this workout.
Some tips for preparing to take on Murph…
- Don’t go out too hot too quick! You might be a little anxious to get going and want to push yourself, but start at a pace you can keep for a substantial amount of time, then kick it up at the end with what you have left!
- Don’t sacrifice quality for speed! Breathe through your movements and make sure you are keeping good form and technique, especially in your push ups and air squats.
- Hydrate! Start hydrating for Murph two days ahead. With the holiday weekend, it may be hard to make the best nutrition choices, which will make basic water intake seem inadequate. It’s going to be a hot one on Monday – so make sure to bring plenty of water the day of for during the workout.
- Fuel up! Just like hydration, make sure you are fueling your body properly with good, whole foods and complex carbs! The better your body is fueled right, the better you will feel during the workout.
- Wear the right gear! Make sure you plan ahead on what you are going to wear. Instead of your normal CrossFit trainers, you may want to consider wearing running shoes to give your feet some extra cushion and better support. If you are going to be doing pull ups, consider wearing grips to prevent any tearing during all of those reps! Pick out your outfit ahead of time, and maybe even wear it for a mini test run so you know you’ll be comfortable.
- Mind over Matter! This is a tough WOD, but remember you can do it. Take one rep at a time and check it off the list. Have fun and remember why we are doing it – to honor all of those who have lost their lives for our country, push extra hard for them. After you complete Murph, go get some food and hang out with our awesome CrossFit community!